Your first assignment is to write a dialogue of your own and present it to your audience in class. The following requirements will help you complete a piece of good work.
1. Topic and Situations
The topic of this assignment is Office and Telephone Conversation. You probably like to use about 4-5 situations selected from the 13 ones suggested in my handouts. If you have extra time left, you may try to "briefly" talk about personnel problems or supplier/client relationship. For personnel problems, please refer to your textbook, Hacikyan's Business in English: A Communicative Skills Approach p. 1,8,32,39 or situations like praising or criticizing staff performance. For client relationship, you cannot give very professional viewpoints at this stage. However, you can still give reasonable negotiations by referring to the occasions like ordering, delivery, payment or complaint and settlement which have already been accessible to you from your general reading like books, newspapers or magazine articles.
To make your audience able to follow your speech, you need to give a brief situation summary at the beginning of each situation (which can be indicated by ACT 1, 2, 3…, a technique used in theater scripts).
2. Required Minimum Time and Participants
Since your group is made of 3 or 4 students, your dialogue will last about 15-25 minutes for a group presentation. The reason for doing this is to offer each student a chance to speak English 5 minutes or so.
Type your dialogues on computers. The deadline for the written work is: 10/23. Hand in your work by printed pages. Disk assignment has not been finally decided yet but it is likely for doing so in the future. Wait for my announcement. You are supposed to present your office dialogue by speaking confidently and naturally in front of your audience. You are not allowed to do manuscript reading. Presentation date is 12/18.
E-mail me other issues or concerns not included in this guideline. We can find out workable solutions. Good luck and my best wishes to your study!
1.You can decide to do this homework in your group or on your own.
2. For your letter, you must include mandatory and optional parts employed by standard business letters. Use "full-block" letter style.
3. Your finished homework include a letter and an envelope.
4. Follow my instructions to create a standard envelope by Microsoft Word Office program.
5. Click "Assignment" on my business website. You will read "E-Mail to Your Teacher". Click this button to e-mail your homework to me.
6. E-mail your "letter" in one file and "envelope" in the second file. Use attachment for this mail delivery. For courtesy sake, you should drop few lines in English to tell me your purpose of this message. Then attach your two files to the message sent to me.
7. Don't forget to indicate your identity - your English name, department and number. Type your identity on the upper left corner of your letter page, about three lines above letterhead. In this case, you don't need to attach a title page.
8. Follow and use paragraph organization of a letter. Although brevity is one criteria for a good business letter, don't sacrifice your language for this principle. As a student, you still need to include adequate details to make your information specific and precise.
I shall also evaluate how word power is manipulated in your letter. Grammar accuracy is always the must you have to pay attention to. I shall not correct all mistakes for you. This means you are responsible for "careless" mistakes. Correcting them is your job. Quantity of mistakes can affect your score negatively.
Your third assignment is to write a letter to confirm and/or acknowledge a company's decision or action upon an important business deal or engagement. To complete your assignment acceptably, use the following requirements and regulations.
ASSIGNMENT GUIDELINE 5
The business situation practiced in this assignment is about payment collection. This can be a third reminder after your telephone, fax or e-mail message to remind the customer of the overdue payment for a large amount of money. You urge their quick response to your request. For instance, this business deal can be a purchase order of quite a number of computers or a refund for dissatisfactory delivery or damaged merchandise.
Sometimes collection can involve small amount of money. In this case, collectors do not follow sophisticated system as reminders, but a form letter still needs to be sent to remind the customer of his/her duty. This can be a subscription fee to your magazine, an application fee for a language test, an admission fee for an educational institute or social clubs.
In your form letter, you need to include both typed content and the empty blanks. In the empty blanks, you need to fill in necessary information with underlines (like Sample 2) . To cause your reader's attention, art graphics as suggested in your textbook can be designed and displayed on your form letter.
If you have different ideas but you are not sure if
they are related to the purpose or requirements of this assignment,
please go to discussion board for brainstorming.
1. What sections will be covered in the final examination?
2. What types of questions will be asked in the final examination?
Resume and Autobiography
Administration and Advertisment Conversation
Form Letter of Payment
E-MAIL TO YOUR TEACHER